Megan's Vegan Choc-Chip Banana Cupcakes
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
6 tablespoons water
2 cups all-purpose flour (plain wholemeal flour works well)
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups mashed overripe bananas (about 3-4 medium bananas)
½ cup caster sugar
⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup semi sweetened vegan chocolate chips
¼ cup semi sweetened vegan chocolate chips
3 teaspoons maple syrup
Dried banana chips, for decoration.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Line a standard-size 12-cup cupcake tray with patty cases.
- Stir together the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes, or until the flaxseed meal has absorbed most of the water.
- In a separate large bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. Once sifted, add the sugar.
- Use a blender to combine the bananas, coconut oil, vanilla and flaxseed mixture until smooth.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture, and add the chocolate chips.
- Mix the batter until just combined. Do not over stir. The batter will be quite thick.
- Divide batter between the 12 patty cases. This mixture should make 12 large cupcakes, so make sure not to overfill each case.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops of the cupcakes spring back to the touch. These cupcakes will not brown, so be careful not to burn them.
- Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool for about twenty minutes.
- Place the remaining chocolate chips and maple syrup into a bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave for between 30 to 45 seconds.
- Remove the bowl and stir the mixture until combined. Add additional maple syrup if needed, until the mixture becomes thin enough to drizzle.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, drizzle the warm ganache mixture across the top of each individual cupcake.
- Decorate each cupcake using banana chips to add an extra crunch!