Emily-May's Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes.
2 teaspoons lemon juice
150 millilitres soy milk
75 grams Nuttelex (or any vegetable oil spread)
1½ tablespoons molasses
1½ teaspoon instant coffee
125 grams self raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ teaspoon bicarb soda
85 grams caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
55 grams Nuttelex
140 grams icing sugar
2 tablespoons soy milk
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
Desiccated coconut to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan-forced. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with patty pans.
- In a small bowl, stir the lemon juice into the soy milk and set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over a medium heat, add the Nuttelex, molasses and coffee and stir until the Nuttelex has completely melted. Remove the pan from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the sifted self raising flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar and bicarb soda.
- Add the Nuttelex mixture and soy milk mixture, and beat until combined.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the cupcake batter into each patty pan.
- Place the muffin tray in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cupcakes out onto a wire rack and allow to completely cool before icing.
- In a large bowl, beat the Nuttelex, icing sugar, soy milk and cocoa powder until light and fluffy.
- Spread the icing on each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with some desiccated coconut.