Julie Goodwin's Lemon Cupcakes
“Making cupcakes is fun and it takes me back to my childhood and Mum’s kitchen,” said Julie. “Lemon is one of my favourite flavours to work with in both savoury and sweet dishes. These cupcakes deliver a lemon hit that will knock your socks off.”
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes
Makes six cupcakes.
100 grams unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup (165 grams) caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
11⁄3 cups (200 grams) self-raising flour
½ cup (125 milliliters) milk
Zest of 3 lemons
125 grams unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups icing sugar mixture
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan-forced). Line a 6-hole muffin pan (¾ cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Using electric beaters, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Fold through the flour and milk in two alternate batches until just combined, then gently fold through the lemon zest.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the paper cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched gently in the centre.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the frosting, use electric beaters to beat the butter until light and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time, beating constantly.
- Add half the milk and beat until well combined.
- Add remaining milk if a softer frosting is desired.
- Spread or pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with a small lemon shape cut from a yellow piece of liquorice allsort, or another lemon-flavoured sweet.