Ali King's Double Chocolate Lamingtons
Ali has been kind enough to share another one of her drool worthy recipes with us! Check out these amazing double chocolate lamingtons!
For the chocolate sponge
120 gm dark chocolate buttons
65 gm butter, coarsely chopped
6 cafe-free eggs, at room temperature
220 gm caster sugar
180 gm plain flour
45 gm Dutch-process cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking powder
For the chocolate coating
250g Caster sugar
100g cocoa powder
For the assembly
200g raspberry jam
180g desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 160c (fan forced). Grease the inside of two 20cm square cake tin with oil spray and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, stir occasionally until melted.
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until pale (5 minutes).
- In the meantime, sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Fold the sifted ingredients into the eggs in two batches followed by folding in the chocolate mixture.
- Divide the mixture into the two prepared tins and bake for approximately 20 minutes. The sponge is ready when you gently press the centre of the cake and it bounces back. Cool on a wire rack.
Chocolate coating & assembly
- Place the sugar, water and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Whisk over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Take one sponge cake and spread with the raspberry jam, top with the second sponge. Cover with cling film and set aside in the freezer for an hour to firm up.
- Remove the sponge from the freezer and while still frozen, cut the sponge into 16 equal portions.
- Dip the sponge into the prepared chocolate soaking syrup to cover all sides. Transfer immediately to a tray of the coconut and cover all sides of the lamingtons. Transfer to a tray and repeat with remaining sponges. Stand for 1 to 2 hours, or until set.
See what our chef says
“I am a massive supporter of the work that the RSPCA does. So when you combine puppies and my love of cupcakes, how could I resist the opportunity to get involved and help promote such a fun and worthwhile cause.”
– Ali King, runner-up Zumbo’s Just Desserts