20 - 25 mins
170 grams unsalted butter, softened
160 grams castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
3 RSPCA Approved eggs at room temperature
230 grams plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
90 grams oats, blended until fine
Pinch sea salt flakes
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon lemon zest
140 grams frozen or fresh blueberries
125 grams cream cheese, room temperature
100 grams unsalted butter
50 grams icing sugar
2 tablespoons blueberry jam for swirl
Blueberries to decorate
Fresh mint & black ribbon (optional)
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 175°C, lightly grease a large cupcake tin.
- Place the softened butter, castor sugar and vanilla into the bowl of a kitchen mixer with paddle attachment, beat until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the blended oats and salt.
- Stop the mixing machine, add the flour mix, buttermilk and lemon, mix on a slow speed until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries (be careful not to overmix or the colour will bleed), divide evenly between the 12 cupcakes. Filling until just below the top. Place into the preheated oven, cook until golden and a skewer comes out clean and the cupcakes are golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the pan.
- Ice as desired, finish with fresh blueberries and mint, serve at room temperature.
For the icing
Place the softened cream cheese and butter into the kitchen mixer bowl, beat with the paddle until light and fluffy. Sift the icing sugar, add and beat to combine. Just fold in the blueberry jam to create a swirled affect, ice.
For the cream
- The night before you, pop the coconut cream in the fridge to chill. If your mixing bowl and whisk attachment will fit, put them in the fridge too.
- Scoop out the separated thickened cream into the chilled mixing bowl. Discard the remaining liquid.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut cream for 1 minute until creamy.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl then add the vanilla extract. Beat the mixture for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. (For an even thicker cream, place the coconut cream in the fridge to chill after beating for a further two hours before serving).
- Serve your scones with the coconut cream and your choice of jam. We love strawberry!
See what our chef says
I am a cook, farmer, author and educator who is lucky enough to live in the beautiful Barossa Valley and am very proud of the food products we make in Tanunda and further afield as Maggie Beer Products Pty Ltd. A dog lover all my life.
– Maggie Beer