Matt Moran's Red Velvet Cupcakes
We’ve tested these for ourselves and Matt’s cupcakes are absolutely delicious! They’ll sure be a treat for your guests and you’ll be hoping that there’s one left to for you to indulge on!
15 - 20 mins
For the cupcakes
150 gms Plain Flour
12g Cocoa powder
1/2 tsp Bi-carb soda
80g Salted Butter
180g caster sugar
1 Tbs Red Food Colouring
1 cage-free egg
1 tsp lemon juice
For the icing
140g Cream Cheese
90g Icing Sugar
50g salted Butter – room temperature
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the plain flour and cocoa powder to remove any lumps add in the bi-carb soda and mix.
- In a separate bowl place, the butter and sugar and using mixer or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well combined and pail in colour, add the egg and lemon juice and continue mixing until combined.
- Once the ingredients are combined add in the food colouring and continue mixing until all the colour is mixed through evenly, add in the butter milk and mix through until combined.
- Place the egg mixture in with the flour and fold through until all ingredient is combined.
- In a muffin baking tray place 10 cupcake paper cups, fill each cup half way with the cupcake mix and place into the pre heated oven for 15 – 20 mins or until you can put a skewer through the cupcake and the skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Whilst waiting on the cupcakes to cool, place the cream cheese and icing sugar into a mixer and mix until combined
- Add in the butter and vanilla, continue to mix until the mixture is smooth and a thick consistency, place into the fridge to set.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, using a piping bag or spoon cover the top with the icing.
See what our chef says
‘RSPCA Cupcake Day supports the ongoing work of the RSPCA and makes a stand for animal welfare. If you are lucky enough to have a furever friend then you know they are more than a pet, they are part of the family. Unfortunately some animals aren’t so lucky and we need to keep the RSPCA doors open and to continue education programs. Grab your apron, eggs and flour to take part by baking my Red Velvet Cupcakes, happy cooking!’
– Matt Moran